Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chocolate Bundt Cake

Ladies and gentlemen, yesterday I baked a cake. And it was edible.



I guess now is a good time to come clean and confess that I'm actually not a very good cake baker. My cakes never turn out right - they're always burnt or so moist they fall apart. They often don't rise properly. They come out of the oven lumpy. What else can I say? Cakes are not my area of expertise.

I know what you're thinking. "But Steph, you bake cupcakes all the time" ... oh yeah sure I do, but cupcakes don't count. Cupcakes are easier because you can taste test them before serving them to your guests. You can take them out of the oven and taste one, and then shove the remaining eleven back into the oven for a few more minutes if need be. Full-size cakes, "real" cakes, intimidate me because once that sucker goes into the oven, you can't really taste it until you're serving it up to all your guests. I've never seen a cake brought out with one slice missing. No judgment if you happen to serve your cakes that way, I'm just saying ...

So, back to my cake. It all started with my desire late Monday evening to play around with my new bundt cake pan. When my hubby confessed he was craving chocolate cake, I decided to give it a go. I used a Betty Crocker recipe for regular chocolate cake, poured the batter into the bundt pan, baked it for 40 minutes, let it cool and voila! A perfect chocolate cake, much to my surprise. Moist and sweet, and just the right level of chocolate-y. Yum!

I'm not sure if it was the recipe, the bundt pan, my new KitchenAid mixer or just a perfect alignment of the stars that made this cake a success when all of my other cakes have been failures. Regardless, I'm inspired! Cake doesn't seem so intimidating anymore and now the sky's the limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin