Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Thai Peanut Chicken Satay

Alan and I take turns cooking dinner. Monday dinners are my responsibility, and this week I wanted to cook something Asian-inspired. I was originally planning to try my hand at chicken skewers with a peanut butter dipping sauce, but by the time I got home I was feeling lazy tired so I ended up doing a simpler version.

Instead of grilling the chicken on skewers and making the sauce on the side, I cooked everything together. The result was a yummy, saucy chicken dish that would go perfectly over rice or pasta. (Unfortunately, I hadn't thought to make rice or pasta so we ate the dish alone, with a salad on the side. Still tasty, but I think a rice or pasta base would have really made it complete). 

The recipe I used is loosely based on this one I found on the internet. 

Thai Peanut Chicken Satay

Ingredients
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (chopped into chunks)
- 3/4 cup of green onions
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup of water 

Directions

1. I let my chicken chunks marinate in a sesame vinaigrette for about an hour before cooking, but this step is optional. I bought the sesame vinaigrette at No Frills ... you could probably find something similar at your local grocery store.
2. In a small bowl, add the soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar and cayenne pepper. Mix well. It will be very dark and a little lumpy; this is normal.
3. In a large skillet, stir fry the chicken, onions and red pepper until the chicken is fully cooked. (This takes about 5-7 minutes). 


3. Switch the heat down to "medium" and add the peanut sauce mix to the skillet.
4. Stir constantly. When the sauce begins to bubble, add the 1/4 cup of water to help thin it out. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. 

5. Serve & enjoy !

Alan really enjoyed this dish. His reaction after taking his first bite was "WOW! Yum! This tastes so Asian!" ... huge compliment. :)

This recipe made the perfect serving for the two of us. If you're making this for four people (or more) I'd recommend doubling the recipe ... 4 chicken breasts, 2 peppers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin